There is a wide range of "normal" growth for a child, but there are several growth disorders that can affect children. A growth disorder occurs when a child is growing at a much slower rate than other children their age. Disorders like this could be the result of both genetic and environmental effects such as an inherited condition or hormonal disorders.
Some possible associated findings of growth disorders include slow growth, developmental delays and even gastrointestinal complaints. Dr. Bishop may order several diagnostic tests to determine the cause of slow growth . At Endocrine Kids in Novi, Michigan, Dr. Jacalyn Bishop treats patients with several conditions.
Pediatric Growth Hormone Deficiency Treatment in Novi, MI
Growth issues can be challenging for families. Contact Endocrine Kids to determine if an evaluation is needed. For more information or to make an appointment, call our pediatric endocrinologist in Novi, Michigan, at (248) 347-3344, or request an appointment online.
Some of the Growth Disorders we Treat Include:
- Growth Hormone Deficiency
The pituitary gland, located at the base of the brain, produces growth hormone. Growth hormone is responsible for a child’s growth. If the gland does not produce enough of this hormone, a child’s growth will be slower than normal.
- Small for Gestational Age
Most children who are born small eventually catch up in their growth. In fact, approximately 90% of kids born small will do so by the time they are 3 years old. The remaining 10% may benefit from growth hormone therapy.
- Idiopathic Short Stature
Idiopathic short stature (ISS) is defined as falling at or below the 1.2 percentile on the growth curve. In this situation, there is no evidence of a disorder. These children may benefit from growth hormone therapy or other treatments.